Thursday 12 January 2017

Why press-up at all......?

Press-ups on wind swept moor and wild rocky shore line, by a christmas house and an Ancient Monument these are all my small acts of defiance against a brewing storm.
Actually the storm isn't so much as brewing but raging about in my body causing damage and chaos wherever it hits ground.
The storm I am talking about is Cancer (big C!), and the cancer I am talking about is Non Hodgkins, High Grade T-Cell Lymphoma...pithy title!! Trouble is that this lymphoma isn't your normal run of the mill, respond to chemo treatment cancer...it is apparently a very rare and unusual cancer with an alarming speed of replication and an equally alarming propensity to not get better that easily.
So me and Rachel have this crazy choice, one we have been to and fro with for a few days now. The choice goes something like this.....
option a- go for a tried and tested regime of chemo that is very doable not too scary (barring all the side effects and possible complications) for 18 weeks and see how it responds to that. The doctors tell us that they don't really like the odds but 30% sounds crap.....1 in 3 sounds pretty good. it's all how you look at it.
option b- go for something called SMILE ( BTW it is not much to smile about) mainly because its a brutal chemo, mostly inpatient...and so nasty that it isn't done that often...or better to say hardly at all.
that leaves...
option c- Do nothing, and buy time with steroids (not the type that will get me doing hundreds of press-ups!) then I could just see friends, and not be ill for a while, but no chance of getting better.
this option is off the cards, but I do admit it has been on the cards every now and again....especially today as I had woken up resigned to the fact that the best chance I had was SMILE but now I have been recommended to maybe stay clear because it's so nasty and risky.
Recommended by friends! But not just any friends these are friends who know what they are taking about. Turns out that amongst my friends I have a haematology consultant in London, a senior Consultant in Yeovil and a Dr.V In the States who is just a genius doctor who knows people who know stuff about this stuff.
Between them they have started the doubt to grow that I should explore other options...Trials, Stem cell, etc etc.
Well that's the science and medical stuff. I wanted to be honest with friends reading this because that background I think helps to understand my struggle at the moment and the importance of doing those press-ups all about the place.
For me, the most important things are these:my family, my Rachel and the dogs that share our lives with us. My friends... close by and crazy and always up for an adventure and my friends  far far away some of whom I only see every few years or every few decades, not that that matters at all!  Being close to nature, spending time outside, sometimes just walking, sometimes running or biking and sometimes swimming  in cold rivers,  beautiful lakes and the awesome sea.
These are the things that matter and these are things that I'm not prepared to give up just yet, these are the things that it will always be worth fighting for.
So I will continue to do my press-ups ( the doctors have assured me I can do them in hospital), and I will enter this storm knowing I am well prepared because I am strong but more than that I have the best people in the whole world surrounding me.
If you feel like doing the odd press-up or two that would be great too.


16 comments:

  1. We surround you, we love you and who knows, I might try a press up. Just one. For you and your lovely lady wife xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to you and Rachel. I am going to try and learn to do a press up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you - pretty much all the time I'm not really busy or sleeping actually - I try to make them strong thoughts for you.
    I think I am commenting as Nansi but don't know how to change it to me - Jenny xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is holding you in the palm of His hand and I am holding you in my heart. Zeus xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ask nicely, I will give you some of me marrow. ..lots of love to you all. See you on the plage.xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so courageous Nic & Rach. Sending you love and strength from Sydney. I'll be doing press ups in solidarity with you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We never know how strong we are until we need to fight. I may not know you personally, and I haven't seen Rachel since school (let's pretend that it wasn't THAT long ago!!), but I wanted to stop by and send some love and (hopefully) some extra strength to you after reading your post. There are never any words for a situation like this - 'so sorry' doesn't cut it, but I am so sorry to hear what you are both facing. I wish you well on your journey and admire your bravery for sharing xx Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same from me too though,
    Actual Nansi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just did 14 press ups on the same spot that you did on Saturday, Thinking of you both .
    Love Michael Karen & Marina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you always. 13 pressups completed in a snowy garden this morning!
    Stay strong xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Done 2 press-up today... Aiming for more tomorrow. Love you loads. Oana x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Nick - I still can't do more than 3 press ups without falling flat on my face!! But I can touch my nose with my tongue!! I'm gonna build my press ups. With you both all the way. Love you both Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Much love to you and Rachel from snowy, cold Chicago. Haven't tried a press up outdoors, nor indoors. Inspired to try. Will report back. Keep pressin'! -Dominy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my lovely, I had no idea, I send so much love to you and Rachel. You are an amazing person and wish I knew you so much better! Please keep doing your crazy press ups, and do you know what I'm going to start doing them too!! They won't be in beautiful places like you have around you though xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stay Strong, stay Positive and know that many people - even people who you may not know well, will be willing you to stay strong and keeping you very much in our uppermost thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nic and Rachel
    I have only just learnt of the challenge you are facing and I am so shocked.
    Yet again you being inspirational and facing all of this with a positive approach.
    Trying to bring some light in the dark and sharing your experiences.
    You've got this 42 year old weakling doing press ups with you every day from now on!
    Your friends may be spread far and wide but we are all with you for this one.

    Love from Ivor

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment, we really enjoy reading them all, even it we don't always have time to reply.